Teacher, Special Education
Instructs students in kindergarten through grade 12 in accordance with state content standards through intranet and various other distance-learning methodologies using a minimum 512kb/s broadband connection in order to increase academic achievement. Teachers work a 10-month school year schedule from their Ohio home residences.
- Maintains established daily office hours of at least 6 hours for consistent and immediate instruction and interaction with students, parents and administrators, out of a minimum 7 ½ hour work day.
- Prepares and updates a webpage for ease in navigation in order to inform and guide students through modifications of the course of study, aligned to State standards; presents subject matter in a clear concise, engaging, and age-appropriate manner.
- Grades assignments, hears oral presentations and prepares, administers, and corrects tests. Provides accommodations as stated by IEP.
- Develops a plan of student engagement and assigns lessons, using a variety of instructional methods, resources and activities, including enrichment, remediation and intervention.
- Schedules and monitors VOIP sessions to create student interaction on a regular basis.
- Monitors student participation and progress in on-line curriculum, and provides regular feedback as immediate as possible.
- Communicates with students and parents on a regular and timely basis to motivate student engagement and academic achievement; maintains contact log of communication.
- Counsels pupils when academic problems arise and refers students to appropriate channels when extra-curricular problems arise.
- Discusses and reports pupils' academic and behavioral attitudes and achievements with parents through phone, face-to-face conferences and e-mail.
- Assists students to plan and follow appropriate work schedule.
- Assists in the teaching of appropriate and effective use of technology.
- Reports attendance and enters proof of student engagement.
- Refers students and parents to appropriate technical assistance departments as needed.
- Monitors and corrects behavior as necessary in chat rooms, e-mails, VOIP programs, and on field trips.
- Coordinates class field trips or other social interaction events where appropriate.
- Researches and obtains authorization for appropriate supplemental web sites to augment instruction; prepares supplemental resources to provide educational opportunities when technological means are interrupted.
- Proctors testing sites, encourages student attendance, and monitors performance.
- Meets with school administrators to review teaching performance and student academic achievement.
- Participates in subject and grade level teams and assists in the mentorship of peer teachers.
- Attends regional parent/teacher conferences, teacher convocation and in-services. Graduation for HS Teachers is also required.
- Maintains a professional, organized work environment in home office using generally accepted business practices.
Minimum Training, Education, and Experience Required:
- Broadband availability at your home residence (must be 512K connection).
- State of Ohio Certification/Licensure (individuals holding only a substitute licensure are not eligible), must be considered highly qualified in subject area according to No Child Left Behind guidelines.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university; proficiency in technology applications; classroom experience preferred.
Preferred Training, Education, and Experience:
- Must not be under a current teaching contract.
- Prior Teaching experience preferred.
- Must be technologically proficient in e-mail, Word, and Internet.
- Must maintain a full-time Ohio residence from which to work during the school year.
- Must secure an ECOT approved 512K broadband connection at home residence.
- Must pass a pre-employment criminal background check and successfully complete a drug test.
- Ability to meet deadlines without constant supervision.
- Strong attention to detail and organization.
- Ability to type 35 wpm.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to use all standard office equipment (fax, copier, printer, scanner).